Current:Home > NewsCaught in a lie, CEO of embattled firm caring for NYC migrants resigns -TradeCircle
Caught in a lie, CEO of embattled firm caring for NYC migrants resigns
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:47:26
NEW YORK (AP) — The chief executive officer of a firm hired by New York City to house and care for hundreds of migrants abruptly resigned Friday after he admitted to lying about his educational record and as DocGo has come under scrutiny for its $432 million no-bid contract with the city.
Anthony Capone’s resignation came after the Albany Times Union reported earlier in the day that Capone had lied about having a graduate degree in artificial intelligence from Clarkson University. The university told the paper that Capone had never attended the university.
Capone later admitted to the paper he had never earned a graduate degree from any institution of learning.
“I take full responsibility and am making immediate corrections to all official bios, profiles and any other materials where this incorrect information appears,” he had said in a statement.
The company confirmed Capone’s resignation Friday in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which said the company’s president and chief operating officer, Lee Bienstock, had been appointed the new CEO.
The filing cited “personal reasons” for his resignation, which was effective immediately.
DocGo was already under scrutiny when its no-bid contract with New York City came to light, prompting questions about what services the company was providing — as well as the quality of those services. Neither the company nor city officials were willing to voluntarily disclose details of the contract.
Earlier this month, New York City Comptroller Brad Lander said there were “numerous outstanding issues and concerns” that prompted him to reject the city’s $432 million no-bid emergency contract with DocGo.
Among those concerns, Lander said, was the lack of “budget detail to justify” the value of the contract and a lack of evidence the company has “the expertise to provide the services it has been contracted for.”
The city comptroller is an independently elected official.
Lander’s decision to return the contract without approval to the city’s Department of Housing Preservation and Development, which inked the contract with DocGo, can’t scuttle the deal.
Mayor Eric Adams has the authority to override the comptroller and has said, “We are going to move forward with it.”
The New York Times reported in August that state Attorney General Letitia James had launched an investigation into the company, which has been accused by some migrants and their advocates of providing inaccurate information about their ability to work, obtain health care coverage and other actions that could risk their ability to gain asylum.
The attorney general is also reporting whether security personnel hired by DocGo mistreated and threatened them, including ordering migrants not to speak with journalists.
DocGo began as a medical services company, describing itself on its website as delivering “high-quality medical care outside traditional hospital or clinic settings across our service lines: Mobile Health Care, Medical Transportation and Remote Patient Monitoring/Chronic Disease Management. We’re bringing the future of healthcare to patients’ doorsteps.”
During the pandemic, it contracted with the city to provide COVID-19 testing and vaccinations.
Since then, it has expanded its services — inexplicably beyond medicine, critics say, and into the realm of logistical operations to transport, house, feed and care for hundreds, if not thousands, of asylum seekers — many of them bused outside of New York City to other communities in the state.
The company has been trying to land a lucrative contract, valued in the billions of dollars, with the federal government
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- NFL Week 1 highlights: Catch up on all the big moments from Sunday's action
- Appeals court reduces restrictions on Biden administration contact with social media platforms
- Former CEO of China’s Alibaba quits cloud business in surprise move during its leadership reshuffle
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker suspended without pay amid sexual misconduct investigation
- 'The Nun 2' scares up $32.6 million at the box office, takes down 'Equalizer 3' for No. 1
- Art Briles was at Oklahoma game against SMU. Brent Venables says it is 'being dealt with'
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- 5 former London police officers admit sending racist messages about Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, other royals
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Montana park partially closed as authorities search for grizzly bear that mauled hunter
- Roadside bombing in northwestern Pakistan kills a security officer and wounds 9 people
- A Pakistani soldier is killed in a shootout with militants near Afghanistan border, military says
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- AP Top 25 Takeaways: Texas is ready for the SEC, but the SEC doesn’t look so tough right now
- Novak Djokovic wins US Open, adding to record number of men's singles Grand Slam titles
- Emma Stone's 'Poor Things' wins Golden Lion prize at 80th Venice Film Festival
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
Tribute paid to Kansas high school football photographer who died after accidental hit on sidelines
NASCAR Kansas playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Hollywood Casino 400
11 hurt when walkway collapses during Maine open lighthouse event
Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
Operation to extract American researcher from one of the world’s deepest caves advances to 700m
Governor's temporary ban on carrying guns in public meets resistance
Judge denies Mark Meadows' request to move Georgia election case to federal court