Current:Home > reviewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TradeCircle
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 02:02:05
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (788)
Related
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Tyson Foods suspends executive John R. Tyson after DWI arrest in Arkansas
- TikTokers are eating raw garlic to cure acne in viral videos. Does it actually work?
- Takeaways from Supreme Court ruling: Abortion pill still available but opponents say fight not over
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Clarence Thomas took 3 undisclosed trips on private jet provided by GOP megadonor, committee says
- Kansas City Chiefs receive Super Bowl 58 championship rings: Check them out
- Horoscopes Today, June 13, 2024
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Michigan coach fired, facing charges after video shows him choking teen at middle school
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Tejano singer and TV host Johnny Canales, who helped launch Selena’s career, dies
- Sandwiches sold in convenience stores recalled for possible listeria contamination
- Algae blooms prompt 2 warnings along parts of New Hampshire’s Lake Winnipesaukee
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Connecticut-sized dead zone expected to emerge in Gulf of Mexico, potentially killing marine life, NOAA warns
- Nonprofit offers Indian women cash, other assistance to deal with effects of extreme heat
- Relationship between Chargers' Jim Harbaugh, Justin Herbert off to rousing start
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Nayeon of TWICE on her comeback, second album: 'I wanted to show a new and fresher side'
White Lotus Star Theo James Once Had a Bottle of Urine Thrown at Him
The RNC is launching a massive effort to monitor voting. Critics say it threatens to undermine trust
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
U.S. customs officer accused of letting drug-filled cars enter from Mexico, spending bribe money on gifts, strip clubs
Wells Fargo fires workers after allegedly catching them simulating keyboard activity
Harry Jowsey Hints He Found His Perfect Match in Jessica Vestal