Current:Home > MarketsMexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence -TradeCircle
Mexico sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after Hurricane Otis. But it hasn’t stopped the violence
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:24:53
MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Mexican government sent 25,000 troops to Acapulco after the resort was hit by Hurricane Otis on Oct. 25, but apparently that hasn’t stopped the violence this week.
The main Acapulco business chamber reported that gang threats and attacks have caused about 90% of the city’s passenger vans to stop running, affecting the resort’s main form of transport. The chamber said the violence was forcing businesses to close early on Thursday and Friday.
“Organized groups of people who have no conscience or commitment to Acapulco have committed criminal acts in broad daylight, threatening civilians with direct armed attacks, and this caused 90% of public transportation to shut down,” wrote Alejandro Martínez Sidney, president of the National Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Services in Acapulco.
“If this situation continues, we will be forced to close businesses,” he wrote in a statement Thursday. The problem continued into Friday, with few vans or buses seen in the streets.
Martínez Sidney was apparently referring to attacks on the privately-own and operate passenger vans in recent days. Local media reported that at least three vans had been burned, a practice that gangs often use to enforce extortion demands for daily protection payments from van drivers.
The Category 5 hurricane killed 52 people and left 32 missing, and severely damaged almost all of the resort’s hotels.
The government has pledged to build about three dozen barracks for the quasi-military National Guard in Acapulco. But even with throngs of troops now on the streets, the drug gang violence that has beset Acapulco for almost two decades appears to have continued.
Acapulco’s economy depends almost completely on tourism, and there are comparitively few visitors in the city, in part because only about 4,500 hotel rooms have been repaired, a small fraction of the tens of thousands the city once had.
Moreover, since the government has also sent about 3,000 federal employees to help in the rebuilding and repair efforts, they occupy many of the hotel rooms.
Violence isn’t new to the once-glamorous resort, and even in the first hours after the hurricane hit, almost every large store in the city was ransacked, while police and soldiers stood by.
veryGood! (46421)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- For the Sunrise Movement’s D.C. Hub, a Call to Support the Movement for Black Lives
- Florida man's double life is exposed in the hospital when his wife meets his fiancée
- She was an ABC News producer. She also was a corporate operative
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Soccer legend Megan Rapinoe announces she will retire after 2023 season
- Who created chicken tikka masala? The death of a curry king is reviving a debate
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Plunge in Response to Coronavirus Pandemic
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Pregnant Stassi Schroeder Wants to Try Ozempic After Giving Birth
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Fox News' Sean Hannity says he knew all along Trump lost the election
- Facebook parent Meta will pay $725M to settle a privacy suit over Cambridge Analytica
- Southwest plans on near-normal operations Friday after widespread cancellations
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Union wins made big news this year. Here are 5 reasons why it's not the full story
- China Just Entered a Major International Climate Agreement. Now Comes the Hard Part
- Restoring Utah National Monument Boundaries Highlights a New Tactic in the Biden Administration’s Climate Strategy
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Chicago officers under investigation over sexual misconduct allegations involving migrants living at police station
Tired of Wells That Threaten Residents’ Health, a Small California Town Takes on the Oil Industry
In Setback to Industry, the Ninth Circuit Sends California Climate Liability Cases Back to State Courts
$73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
NFL 'Sunday Ticket' is headed to YouTube beginning next season
Kelly Ripa Details the Lengths She and Mark Consuelos Go to For Alone Time
Which economic indicator defined 2022?