Current:Home > StocksColombia extends cease-fire with FARC splinter group in bid to reduce rural violence -TradeCircle
Colombia extends cease-fire with FARC splinter group in bid to reduce rural violence
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 22:15:17
BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — Colombia’s government has extended a cease-fire with the FARC-EMC rebel group that was set to expire this week, as both sides hold peace talks in Bogota in an effort to reduce violence in rural parts of the country.
The cease-fire will now last until July 15, according to a decree signed Sunday by President Gustavo Petro, and it requires that the rebels cease attacks on civilians in areas under their control – a crucial measure according to some analysts.
“The cease-fires we have seen (during the Petro administration) so far, have really only limited the clashes between the government and the rebel groups, but haven’t had a real impact on the lives of communities” said Elizabeth Dickinson, a Colombia analyst at the International Crisis Group. “What we get to see now is whether this ceasefire can change that paradigm.”
Colombia’s government in October announced peace talks with the FARC-EMC splinter group after both sides agreed to a three-month long cease-fire.
The group of around 3,500 fighters is led by rebel commanders who did not join a 2016 peace deal between the Colombian government and the main FARC group that ended five decades of war.
While homicides in Colombia have gone down since the 2016 peace deal was signed, there has been an uptick in violence in some rural pockets of the country, where groups like the FARC-EMC, the National Liberation Army and the Gulf Clan are fighting over territory abandoned by the FARC.
Petro’s administration has attempted to hold simultaneous peace talks with these groups, as part of the president’s “Total Peace” plan. But critics say that cease-fires with the nation’s remaining rebel groups have done little to stop attacks on the population, with the rebels using the cessation of hostilities with the military as an opportunity to recruit teenagers, extort local businesses and kidnap civilians for hefty ransom payments – including the father of a famous soccer player.
The new cease-fire with the government also requires that the rebels not threaten community leaders or control the movements of villagers in rural areas, who are sometimes confined to their villages by the rebel groups.
The FARC-EMC and the government have disclosed few details about their current round of talks, which are being held in the nation’s capital. But they have hinted that they will discuss the implementation of economic projects aimed at transforming rural areas, where impoverished farmers have opted to grow illegal crops to make a living.
Sustainable development projects aimed at decreasing deforestation are also being discussed, according to the government’s lead negotiator, Camilo González Posso.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Stop the madness with 3x3 basketball. This 'sport' stinks
- Bloomberg gives $600 million to four Black medical schools’ endowments
- Instructor charged with manslaughter in Pennsylvania plane crash that killed student pilot
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Why Katie Ledecky Initially Kept Her POTS Diagnosis Private
- Tropical Storm Debby is expected to send flooding to the Southeast. Here’s how much rain could fall
- Bloomberg gives $600 million to four Black medical schools’ endowments
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- A Legal Fight Over Legacy Oil Industry Pollution Heats Up in West Texas
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Houston mom charged with murder in baby son's hot car death; grandma says it's a mistake
- Houston mom charged with murder in baby son's hot car death; grandma says it's a mistake
- Incumbent Maloy still leads after recount in Utah US House race, but lawsuit could turn the tide
- 'Most Whopper
- Deputy who shot Sonya Massey thought her rebuke ‘in the name of Jesus’ indicated intent to kill him
- Why Simone Biles, Jordan Chiles bowed down to Rebeca Andrade after Olympic floor final
- Taylor Swift leads the 2024 MTV Video Music Awards nominations, followed by Post Malone
Recommendation
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
'Don't panic': What to do when the stock market sinks like a stone
Alabama to move forward with nitrogen gas execution in September after lawsuit settlement
Oakland A’s to sell stake in Coliseum to local Black development group
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
What Iran’s attack against Israel could look like with the support of regional allies
9 killed when an overloaded SUV flips into a canal in rural South Florida, authorities say
You Won’t Believe These Expensive-Looking Marble Decor Pieces Are From Target