Current:Home > FinanceLos Angeles Archdiocese agrees to pay $880 million to settle sexual abuse claims -TradeCircle
Los Angeles Archdiocese agrees to pay $880 million to settle sexual abuse claims
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 22:57:33
NEW YORK —The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles has agreed to pay $880 million to 1,353 people who say they were sexually abused as children by clergy dating back decades, the largest settlement involving a U.S. diocese.
The Archdiocese began mediating the abuse claims after California enacted a law that allowed new lawsuits to be based on past instances of sexual abuse involving minors. The California law and similar legislation in other states have driven many large Catholic organizations to seek bankruptcy protection around the U.S. to resolve similar abuse claims.
Archbishop Jose H. Gomez expressed sorrow for the abuse in announcing the settlement on Wednesday.
“I am sorry for every one of these incidents, from the bottom of my heart,” Gomez said in a statement. “My hope is that this settlement will provide some measure of healing for what these men and women have suffered.”
The Los Angeles Archdiocese reached its settlement without filing for bankruptcy. Gomez said the Archdiocese would be able to pay victims from cash reserves, investments, loans, and contributions from other religious organizations that had been named in lawsuits. The payments will not impact the Archdiocese’s mission of "serving the poor and vulnerable in our communities," Gomez said.
Attorneys for the Archdiocese and the Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel representing abuse claimants issued a joint statement on Wednesday thanking survivors for coming forward with their stories and ensuring that similar abuse will not occur in the future.
"While there is no amount of money that can replace what was taken from these 1,353 brave individuals who have suffered in silence for decades, there is justice in accountability," the Plaintiffs' Liaison Counsel said in a joint statement.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Margot Robbie Breaks Silence on Oscars Nomination Snub for Barbie Role
- Georgia House votes to require watermarks on election ballots
- Fulton County says cyberattack did not impact Trump election interference case
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 'Swift Alert' app helps Taylor Swift fans keep up with Eras Tour livestreams
- Adele announces 'fabulous' summer shows in Munich, first Europe concert since 2016
- Wray warns Chinese hackers are aiming to 'wreak havoc' on U.S. critical infrastructure
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- PGA Tour strikes deal with pro sports ownership group to create for-profit arm
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Zayn Malik Talks 2024 Goals, Setting the Bar High, and Finding Balance
- Wray warns Chinese hackers are aiming to 'wreak havoc' on U.S. critical infrastructure
- Burned remnants of Jackie Robinson statue found after theft from public park in Kansas
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Secret history: Even before the revolution, America was a nation of conspiracy theorists
- Some LGBTQ youth look to aunts for emotional support, companionship and housing stability
- Dallas Mavericks coach Jason Kidd says Luka Doncic is 'better than Dirk' Nowitzki
Recommendation
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
Fisher-Price restocking baby 'Stanley cup' toy after parents bought up inventory
Carnival reroutes Red Sea cruises as fighting in the region intensifies
Thai activist gets two-year suspended prison sentence for 2021 remarks about monarchy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Tennessee, Virginia AGs suing NCAA over NIL-related recruiting rules with Vols under investigation
Dallas Mavericks coach Jason Kidd says Luka Doncic is 'better than Dirk' Nowitzki
Biogen plans to shut down its controversial Alzheimer’s drug Aduhelm